Grand Masonic Bazaar

At the Festival of St Andrew on 30 November, 1888, the Grand Master Mason, Col. Sir Archibald C. Campbell of Blythswood, Baronet, M.P., in his Reply to the Toast to Grand Lodge proposed by Brother Sir Charles Dalrymple, M.P., stated:-
"What we want now is to get money to be enabled to carry out to the full the ideas and wishes of those who have given so much time and trouble to form this new Scheme of Benevolence. I think we have an organisation throughout Scotland, which if we were determined to put it to the test, would be able to give us the sum of money that was required, even as much as £10,000. I know, in speaking of this matter, you may say you are sick of bazaars; but I believe that if each province in this country were to have a stall at a Great Bazaar to be held next year, and if we worked that matter up carefully amongst ourselves, and if we did our duty, I believe we should exceed the sum I have mentioned."                                 (Grand Lodge Proceedings 1888-1889, p.157)#
This proposal was followed up by a letter from the Grand Master Mason to the Meeting of Grand Committee held on 31 January 1889. It was agreed that discussions would be held as soon as possible with him about the Bazaar.
On 7 February 1889, the Grand Master Mason addressed Grand Lodge on the subject of a Grand Masonic Bazaar. He referred to issues such as the timing of the Bazaar, the support of the Colonial Lodges, and its location. The choice for the location of the event lay between Edinburgh and Glasgow. Brother Fisher, Proxy Master No 677’s suggestion that it be held in Glasgow was greeted with cries of “No”. He also thought it might be possible to hold bazaars simultaneously in Glasgow and Edinburgh. On the proposal of the Grand Master Mason, the matter was referred to Grand Committee “to take such steps as they may see necessary and report to next Quarterly Communication.” (Applause)#
At Grand Committee on 28 February 1889, it was resolved to set up and appoint a Bazaar Sub-Committee. Its members were Brothers James T S Elliot of Wolfelee, Convener(Proxy Master No 104, Senior Grand Warden); Lt Col John Campbell, (Junior Grand Deacon),Col.P.Stirling of Kippendavie(Proxy Provincial Grand Master of Bahamas), James Berry,(Grand Committee)(PGM ofForfarshire), David Hume,(Grand Committee)(Past Grand Bible-Bearer, PM 241), James Crichton, (Grand Jeweller), Sir Charles Dalrymple of Newhailes, Baronet, MP,(Substitute Grand Master), J Dalrymple Duncan,(Senior Grand Deacon), George Fisher,(Member of Grand Committee)(Proxy Master No 677) and John Graham of Broadstone,(PGM of Glasgow).
{ The offices appended to each individual should not be regarded as completely accurate since the dates of Communications of Grand Lodge and Installation Dates varied from time to time, thus making it difficult always to be accurate}
At Grand Committee on 29 April 1889, the Bazaar Committee was given powers to meet and liaise with the Grand Master Mason regarding the Bazaar in aid of the Annuity Fund and report back at the next Quarterly Communication. At that Communication held on 2 May 1889, Brother James T S Elliot stated the Bazaar Committee had held several meetings , met with the Grand Master Mason, and as Chairman of the Sub-Committee presented the following Resolutions for confirmation:-

  1. That a paid Secretary be employed.
  2. That all Masonic Provinces be requested to undertake the management of a Stall or stalls, either individually or by cooperating with neighbouring provinces.
  3. That all Daughter lodges be asked to contribute by donations either in money or material – in the case of the Indian, Colonial and Foreign Lodges especially in material.
  4. That the other Orders of Masonry recognised in Scotland be invited to contribute.
  5. That a List of Patrons and patronesses be prepared as quickly as possible.
  6. That one Bazaar be held in Edinburgh at the earliest convenient date.
  7. That the following be appointed a Committee, with full powers to expend moneys, arrange details, and add to their number if advisable, viz.:- The Most Worshipful the Grand Master, Grand Master Depute, Substitute Grand Master, Senior Grand Warden, Junior Grand Warden, Grand Secretary, ex officiis; and Brothers James Crichton, John Graham, Dr James Middleton, Colonel P Stirling, and F Villiers. The Grand Master Convener.

( This list is taken from the Proceedings of Grand Lodge)#
These Resolutions were passed unanimously. In order to regularise matters, Brother Elliot advised that he would propose at the next Communication “ That the powers conferred on the Bazaar Committee as regards expenditure be confirmed.”# Accordingly at the Communication on 1 August 1889, Grand Lodge approved this proposal.
On 24 April 1890, Grand Secretary advised Grand Committee that he had received a request from Lodges St David and Dramatic Arts in the Metropolitan District for a Masonic Sermon to be preached by the Grand Chaplains in St Giles Cathedral; a collection would be uplifted in aid of the Grand Masonic Bazaar. The significance of this Service had become so great that Grand Lodge decided that it should take charge of it. The Service was held in St Giles Cathedral on Sunday 8 June 1890 and was attended by more than 800 Brethren and an estimated 2,000 of others.  The Offering which was uplifted in aid of the Masonic Bazaar amounted to £73. The Sermon was preached by Brother Rev John Glasse, Grand Chaplain, who was assisted by Bro Rev Pearson Macadam Muir of Morningside, Past Grand Chaplain. A Choir and Orchestra provided the musical accompaniment for the Service. The Procession gathered in Parliament Hall and then proceeded under the direction of the Grand Marshal to the Cathedral under the direction of the Grand Marshal, Brother George Christie.
Several months later, Lodge Dramatic and Arts No 757 was given permission to organise “a dramatic entertainment” in the Theatre Royal, Edinburgh with the full support of Grand Lodge. It was agreed that Brethren would be permitted to wear regalia. The event was to be publicised widely in order to attract a large audience.

At the same Meeting a report was made on the progress made so far by the Bazaar Committee:

  1. The Bazaar aimed to raise £10,000.
  2. Her Majesty the Queen agreed to be Patron of the Bazaar.
  3. The Bazaar would take place in Waverley Market on 2, 3,4,5, and 6 December 1890.
  4. The Market would be set out in the design of an Egyptian  
  5. Plans of the Temple – a large central court, colonnades on all sides of the court, the colonnade at the east with the appearance of a porch or portico; between the columns the various stalls, 19 or 20.
  6. Stalls – game, dairy produce, parcels etc.
  7. In the centre, the Grand Lodge Stall – 25 feet square, representing a small temple.
  8. Small kiosks for Eastern specialities in other areas.
  9. At the west end, a large space for refreshments and behind, a theatre with a stage and retiring rooms.
  10. Space for a small picture gallery, ladies’ and gentlemen’s cloakrooms, offices.
  11. A number of Provinces were grouped together.
  12. Lady Campbell of Blythswood has organised a number of Ladies to assist her.
  13. The Ladies’ General Committee is engaged in organising a number of arrangements e.g. distinctive dresses for the ladies; “The ladies in the Metropolitan District Stall will wear costumes in thistle green with aprons and badges of the lodges represented. It has been intimated that white and gold and dark blue and gold, will be the distinctive colours in the Ayrshire and Renfrewshire stalls respectively.”#
  14. Lodge Cosmopolitan, Shanghai, No 428 was sending donations of valuable Chinese crape,shawls and scarves, vases etc. Lodges from all over the world were sending donations.
  15. Lodge Dramatic and Arts No 757 has donated a Portrait of the Grand Master Mason to be sold by subscription, also statuettes.
  16. The large shipping companies through “the good offices” of Major F W Allan have agreed to carry packages donated to the Bazaar free of charge.

A letter of Appeal to raise funds for the Bazaar dated 22 April 1890 was sent by the Grand Master Mason to members of the Craft.
Grand Bazaar in aid of the Annuity Fund
The Bazaar took place in the Waverley Market on 2,3,4,5,and 6 December 1890. The Bazaar was opened on the forenoon of 2 December 1890.
“ The Merry Masons” last week held high revel in the capital of the North.”*
In the theatre, which had been constructed at the east of the Market, Office-Bearers and Members of Grand Lodge gathered. Under the direction of the appropriate Grand Lodge Office-Bearer, the Brethren wearing Regalia marched to the platform on the south side. Already there were the stall-holders and the general public.
A record of those Brethren accompanying the Grand Master Mason is set out on page 162 of Proceedings. 1890-1891.
Brother Lord Saltoun presented a cheque for twelve hundred guineas from the Provinces of Aberdeen City, East Aberdeen, and West Aberdeen. The Grand Master Mason in reply stated that in the past year over £700 had been granted to applicants for assistance. He concluded by saying that “He trusted that the bazaar would be a success, and would begin a new era in Scottish Masonry by placing them on the foundation they desired to be – that of a charitable institution. (Applause)” Lord Haddington proposed a vote of thanks to the ladies “who, he said, could not but sympathise with an Order whose rock and foundation was religion, and whose mainsprings were charity and benevolence. Freemasons owed much to the ladies, but they as women owed much to Freemasonry.” #This was seconded by Sir Charles Dalrymple MP.
The Cameron Highlanders provided the musical accompaniment for the company to sing the 121st Psalm. A Blessing was pronounced by the Grand Chaplain after which the Grand Master Mason to loud applause and cheers declared the Bazaar open. The Masonic Anthem was played by the Band as the Platform Party retired.
The Waverley Market which had been converted into an Egyptian Temple, consisting of 20 stalls, which represented the different counties.
“ The likeness aimed at was that of the Temple of Eidon on the Nile. Sir Archibald’s visits to the original scene, and the clever and graphic drawings which he sketched and painted on the spot, were most valuable in guiding the willing workers who carried out the idea.”*
In the centre of the Market was the Grand Lodge Stall and the Lodges of the Metropolitan District. “A pleasant and striking gift in the centre of the hall, was a model of a famous Edinburgh church made of crystal sugar.”## It is said that “The brilliancy of the scene was much enhanced by the beauty of the dresses worn by many of the stallholders. The occasion gave opportunity for a wider exercise of taste and originality than is admissible in almost any other gathering of ladies.” *In the Proceedings there is a very colourful description of Lady Campbell’s attire:
“ She wore a green crepe skirt with deep hem of gold lace, green velvet bodice trimmed with gold lace, sleeves slashed with gold and white chiffon; bonnet composed of hoops of gold and green feathers. Lady Campbell also wore a very handsome ornament of diamonds, sapphires, and pearls, presented to her by the Masons of the Province of Renfrewshire East.”#
The extract continues:
“Many of the representatives of the Metropolitan Lodges wore the sashes belonging to the different Lodges.”#
There are detailed descriptions of the outfits worn at the stall of the different Provinces. At the Glasgow City Stall:
“the ladies wore black silk skirts and sleeves with Masonic cuffs of green plush, square jackets of the same material, trimmed with silver braid and fringe. The assistants wore badges and green silk armlets, inscribed Glasgow Province.”#
“ Thus, Glasgow City Stall shows among other things, a couple of sailing boats, and one of them is more than a model- full rigged and ready for the water.”##
An autograph poem of Robert Burns was displayed on the Ayrshire Stall.
“ Nothing in the building was more effective than the Knight Templar costume, with its white cloak and sash, on which shone the scarlet cross.”*
Mrs Graham of Broadstone, wife of the Provincial Grand Master, Brother John Graham of Broadstone, presided over the Glasgow City Stall.
In addition, to the many Freemasons, who represented the nobility of Scotland, the names and titles of some of the Ladies who assisted in the various stalls are worthwhile recording:
Lady Campbell, The Dowager Duchess of Athole, the Duchess of Abercorn, the Duchess of Hamilton and Brandon, the Marchioness of Tweeddale, the Countess of Lindsay, the Countess of Home, the Countess of Zetland, the Countess of Mar and Kellie, the Countess of Strathmore, Lady Blanche Hozier,(mother of Clementine, later wife of Winston Churchill), Lady Maud Bowes Lyon, Lady Lillian Erskine Wemyss, and many other Ladies.
“ Every legal means was used to get the money out of the pockets of the visitors, and also,it must be said, illegal means, for lotteries and fortune-telling.
Everybody seemed to work with a heartiness and goodwill that made a visit a pleasure.
A greater natural history collection was contributed than orginally started the famous Wombwell Menagerie, “ the badger and the bear, the fox and the hare” and a very large and fine billy-goat.
Certain stalls had a run upon them. One that seemed to have a special charm was that over which hung a ticket with the intimation, “sent by the Prince of Wales”. His Royal Highness, with his well-known interest in every good work, generously sent a large consignment of game.”*
It is reported in the Glasgow Herald, 3 December 1890, that on the first day of the Bazaar, the takings were as follows:- Stalls - £3438; Entertainments - £44; Admission - £144; Donations from the Aberdeen Provinces - £1360; Total - £4876.
On 6 December 1890, the same newspaper reported that the drawings on the previous day were £2318, and the total takings thus far being £10823. The paper also intimated on the same date, “ for the convenience of visitors from Glasgow, a special train is to be run from the Waverley Station direct to Glasgow, leaving Edinburgh at 10.30pm”##
On 8 December 1890, the Grand Master Mason wrote a letter of thanks to all those who had made the Bazaar such a success. The letter was written from his estate at Blythswood and concludes as follows:
“ I know that my words which it is my power to use are totally inadequate to do justice to the efforts of all. Grand Lodge thanks you, the Scottish Craft thank you, and the Widow, the orphan, and the destitute Mason – whose lot you, by your liberality, will lighten – call down the blessings of the Great Architect of the Universe upon you.”#
On 29 October 1891, Grand Committee received a letter from the Honorary Treasurer of the Bazaar, Bro J Maxtone Grahame CA, with an Auditor’s Report, and other relevant papers. The documentation from the Union Bank of Scotland showed a balance of £14,449 10s 10d, being the proceeds from the Bazaar. Both Brothers Grahame and Charles Baxter, WS, were thanked for their work as Honorary Treasurer and General Manager of the Bazaar respectively. After amounts deducted for various expenses, the balance was £13,397 11s 7d. In the Minute of Grand Committee held on 30 December 1891, the funds raised by each of the stalls is detailed. Glasgow City Province is shown as having contributed £1119 17s 7d.
The Brethren of the late nineteenth century must be lauded for their magnificent efforts on behalf of the Annuity Fund of Grand Lodge.To have raised over£13,000 in 4 days was a truly great achievement. It is difficult to imagine how wonderfully the Waverley Market must have been transformed into an Egyptian Temple for those few days in December 1890. Without the advantages of modern transport systems, so many Brethren and their wives converged on Edinburgh to promote the charitable tenents of the Craft.

Acknowledgements
*The Illustrated Sporting and Dramatic News  December 13  1890 – 425
#The Proceedings of the Grand Lodge of Scotland
## The Glasgow Herald

Additional Notes

  1. ##The press then reported regularly and in full on many Masonic events and meetings. On 3 December 1890, the Glasgow Herald gave reports on The Installation Meeting of Lodge Firth of Clyde No 626, the St Andrew’s Day Meeting and Election of Office-Bearers of Lodge St John Campbeltown No 141, the Annual Meeting of Lodge Doric Kilwinning No 68; on 4 December 1890, the newspaper reported on the Annual Meetings of Lodge St John’s, Dalziel No 496, Cumbernauld St Andrew’s No 199, The Panmure Lodge No 299, Lodge Dunbar Castle No 75 and the Centenary Meeting of Lodge Old Monkland St James No 177.
  2. ##On 9 December 1890, from the Glasgow Herald, we learn that “ the Clerk intimated receipt of a letter from Mr Wm Scott WM stating that at a meeting of the Freemasons held on the 20th ult he had been instructed to inform the Commissioners that as a mark of esteem for Provost Wylie Past PGM for Ayrshire and the “Historian of the Mother Lodge”, they unanimously agreed to subscribe the sum of £7 towards the expense of the Provost’s lamp, since Bro Wylie had the honour of being elected the first Provost of Kilwinning.”
  3. #The Proceedings of Grand Lodge for 1887-1893 record many other items of historical interest, several of which are noted beneath:
  1. On 4 February 1892, a Letter of Sympathy was sent to Her Majesty the Queen and Their Royal Highnesses the Prince and Princess of Wales on the Death of Brother HRH The Duke of Clarence and Avondale.
  2. A Masonic Service was held in St Giles Cathedral on Sunday 27 March 1892 organised by Lodge Dramatic and Arts No 757. Brethren robed in Parliament Hall and processed therefrom to the Cathedral. The Service was conducted by Brothers Rev Dr Gray, Liberton and Rev John Glasse, Old Greyfriars’ Church and Rev Mr Taylor. There were about 600 Brethren present dressed in regalia. The text of Brother Gray’s Sermon was “ Let Brotherly love continue.” (Hebrews xiii 1))
  3. #The following is taken from the Minute of Grand Committee, 26 May 1892:

“Shanghai
The death of Brother Charles Melville Donaldson of Shanghai was reported. Brother Donaldson was the founder of the first Scottish Lodges in China and Japan – namely the Cosmopolitan, Shanghai and the Hiogo and Osaka at Kobe. He was initiated in St Mark’s Lodge at Glasgow No 102, and was Provincial Grand Marshal of Glasgow. He was the oldest Past Master of the Lodge Cosmopolitan No 428. The Craft in China, in recognition of his Masonic services, presented him with a valuable gift of plate. The presentation took place during his visit to Scotland in November 1872 and was made by the Grand Master in Grand Lodge assembled, in name of the donors. This was done by request of Grand Lodge, in order to mark its estimation of Brother Donaldson’s character and appreciation of his services. Grand Secretary was directed in name of Grand Committee to send a letter of condolence to the family of the deceased Brother.”

  1. The Grand Master Mason paid a visit to the Scots Lodge in London, in which Lodge Brother Lord Saltoun was the Master.
  2. The Minute of Grand Committee of 29 September 1892 records its wish to send its congratulations to the Past Grand Master on his being raised to the Peerage as Lord Blythswood.
  3. The Proceedings of 3 November 1892 note the congratulations of His Majesty King Oscar II of Sweden to the Grand Master on his accession to the Throne of Scottish Freemasonry. (Oscar I was created the first Honorary Member of Grand Lodge in 1847)
  4. In 1887, the Honorary Members of Grand Lodge are listed as His Imperial Majesty Wilhelm I, Emperor of Germany and HRH The Duke of Connaught.
  5. On 2 August 1888, an Illuminated Address on Vellum was presented to Her Majesty the Queen in the Royal Reception Room at the International Exhibition in Glasgow by the Grand Master Mason.
  6. #“ Grand Secretary reported that, as authorised by Grand Committee, he had lent to the International Exhibition at Glasgow, for the Archaeological and Historical Section, the following articles viz. The St Clair Charters, 1600 and 1628; the Minute-book of the Roman Lodge of Freemasons existing at Rome in 1753-1757, of which the Earl of Winton was   “Great Master” at the date of its suppression by Pope Clement the Telth; the Minute-book of the St Andrew Lodge, Dumfries, of which Burns was an office-bearer, bearing the Poet’s signature to bye-laws, and containing the minute of his affiliation in December 1788; also the Master’s mallet and Apron used in the Lodge in Burns’ time.”
#At the Quarterly Communication of Grand Lodge held on 6 November 1890, although the Provincial Grand Master had recommended that a Charter be granted to a new Lodge to be named Lodge St James, Bridgeton, after a vote having been taken, it was decided by 77 to 75 votes not to grant this Charter. Previously at Grand Committee, the objection of The Bridgeton and Glasgow Shamrock and Thistle Lodge No 275 was intimated.

 


 

About PGLG

Provincial Grand Lodge of Glasgow are charged by the Grand Lodge of Scotland to look after the 77 daughter lodges of the province.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
FAQ
Cookies Policy

Office Hours

 

Find Us

Get in Touch