Brother John Ewart

Bro John Naismith Ewart was born in the east end of Glasgow in Delburn St Parkhead on the 24th of February 1936 and sadly passed away on Sunday the 7th January 2018. The Funeral was held at Graigton Crematorium on Saturday 20th January 2018
In typical Glasgow fashion, he was christened John but many called him Jack. He always answered politely to both names.
He attended Newlands Primary School in Springfield Road Parkhead then Riverside Secondary School in Springfield Road Dalmarnock. After his school days, his first job was with a company called Kelvin Hughes, where he served as an apprentice instrument maker and then moved to ELCOMATIC in Neilson Renfrewshire.
As a young man, one of his hobbies was playing football, but he always said that he avoided heading a ball, as it would have messed up his hairstyle. Anyone knowing John would know his hair was his crowning glory. He was also a very keen member of the Boys’ Brigade, as all good Glasgow East End Boys were.
When called up for National Service, he was fortunate to be stationed in the army barracks in Edinburgh until he was demobbed.
John met his dearly beloved wife Cathie at the dancing in the Locarno Ballroom in Sauchiehall Street.They were married at St Thomas Church in the Gallowgate Glasgow in 1957,.Their first house was in Logue St., Govan, then moved to Easterhouse. They eventually finally settled in Johnstone. John and Cathie were blessed with a daughter Janice, granddaughters Laura and Emma and great granddaughter, Keyleigh. His wife, Cathie, sadly passed away in 1986.
Again, in the Glasgow way John, followed in his father’s footsteps, and at the age of 19 years, he joined Lodge Glasgow at Glasgow 441 on the 11th March 1955. He served in all the offices and finally attained the Chair of the Lodge in 1969. He was without doubt an excellent ritualist in all the degrees and carried out the duties of Installing Master on many occasions and served as Treasurer of the Lodge for 15 years. He received his 50th year diploma as a member of the Lodge in 2005,
He will be sadly missed by the Brethren of his Lodge
John joined the Provincial Grand Lodge of Glasgow as a Provincial Steward in 1970 and as then as an office- Bearer and was elected to the highest elective office in Provincial Grand Lodge, that of Provincial Grand Senior Warden in 1987/88. He was commissioned as a Substitute Provincial Master of the Province of Glasgow in 1999 by Bro. George A.L McEwan PGM for the last year of his commission, and then again commissioned as a Substitute Provincial Grand Master by Bro. Robert Best PGM,1999/2004.
He was honoured by the Grand Lodge of Scotland when he received the Honorary Grand Lodge Rank of Grand Junior. Deacon.
Bro. Ewart was perfected in the Glasgow Sovereign Chapter in 1984 and thereafter attained the chair of MWS in 1998.
He was promoted to the 30th Degree in the Glasgow Sovereign Council in 1990, and eventually promoted to the 31st degree and finally the 32nd degree of the Antient and Accepted Scottish Rite.
He was also a member of the Provincial Grand Lodge of Glasgow and West of Scotland of the Royal Order of Scotland. Brother John Ewart’s commitment to freemasonry in his 62years a member of the Craft was outstanding and exemplary.
He was a gentleman and a very loving family man and he will be sadly missed by all the brethren who had the honour of knowing him, and more especially by his beloved family of whom he was so proud. I

John G. McMillan P.M 1486
H.M. of Lodge Glasgow at Glasgow No 441

 

 

Pin It