Sir John Stirling-Maxwell
"Sir John Maxwell Stirling-Maxwell, 10th Baronet, of Pollok, KT (6 June 1866 – 30 May 1956) was a Scottish Tory politician and philanthropist.
The eldest son of Sir William Stirling-Maxwell, 9th Baronet and Lady Anna Maria Leslie-Melville, second daughter of David Leslie-Melville, 8th Earl of Leven and Elizabeth Anne Campbell, he was educated at Eton College and at Trinity College, Cambridge. He succeeded his father to the baronetcy in 1878.
In 1901 he married Ann Christian Maxwell, daughter of The Rt. Hon. Sir Herbert Maxwell, 7th Baronet. The couple had one daughter, Dame Anne Maxwell Macdonald, 11th Baronet.
He was Conservative Member of Parliament for the College Division of Glasgow between 1895 and 1906, and later served as Chairman of the Forestry Commission from 1929–1932. He was also Chairman of the Royal Fine Art Commission for Scotland, and a Trustee of the National Galleries of Scotland Chairman of Ancient Monuments Board. He was a Lieutenant in the Royal Company of Archers and an active Freemason.
He was a founder member of the National Trust for Scotland (1931), becoming one of its first Vice-Presidents and President from 1943 until his death. He realised the importance of green spaces within a city. In this context, he was determined to protect the Pollok Estate and give the people of Glasgow access to it, which he undertook in 1911.
Stirling Maxwell was also involved in trying to resolve the protracted problem of finding a home for the art treasures presented to Glasgow in 1944 by Sir William Burrell. After his death, his daughter gave Pollok House, a substantial proportion of the estate and her father's art collection to the Glasgow Corporation. This gift of land eventually allowed the Glasgow city fathers to erect a building to hold the Burrell Collection. In 1929 he was appointed a Knight of the Thistle. He held the honorary degree of LLD from the University of Glasgow, the University of Aberdeen and Edinburgh University. Hon. RSA; Hon. RIBA; Hon. RWS; Hon. RSW and a DL."
Sir John Maxwell Stirling-Maxwell, commissioned Sir Robert Rowand Anderson (1834-1921) to design a Public Hall for the Pollokshaws Community. Sir Rowand created the building in the Scottish Renaissance style. He incorporated as many details from the old Glasgow College buildings as he could because the College site had been sold to Glasgow Union Railway (1863) to develop a large covered goods yard on the corner of High St/Duke St near the City centre. He also Commissioned Pollokshields Burgh Hall. (Below)
Outstanding architectural features recorded in the "Public Hall" include the "replica" clock tower accessed by three sections of iron spiral staircase, crow-stepped gables, decorative stone details around the doors and windows.
Sir John being an active Freemason arranged for a masonic motif above the north entrance.
He donated the completed building to Pollokshaws Burgh in 1898 with a proviso that it be used by the public and community in perpetuity.
Sir John was a Past Master of Lodge Pollokshaws Royal Arch No.153 in 1892 and again in 1933.
He was also founding master of Lodge Blythswood No.817 in the year 1895, Honorary Member of Lodge Pollok No.772
He also has many other buildings named after him, Sir John Stirling-Maxwell school and Wetherspoons bar in the area amongs others.