Sir John Ure Primrose
Sir John was born in Glasgow on 6 October 1847 the son of William Primrose and his wife, Annie Ure, both from wealthy merchant-miller families. The family lived at 53 King Street in the Tradeston district.
He joined the family flour milling business of William Primrose & Sons in center street
His politics were firmly Unionist/Conservative in outlook and his first political role was as a member of Govan police Commission.
He became a town councillor in 1886 representing Kingston Ward. From 1891 he was a magistrate and from 1896 a senior magistrate, and was responsible for organising the new fire station at Ingram Street. He was created Lord Provost of Glasgow in 1902, replacing Sir Samuel Chisholm, 1st Baronet.
He was created Baronet of Redholme Dumbreck and Govan on the occasion of the visit of King Edward VII to Glasgow in 1903. He was replaced as Lord Provost in 1905.
Sir John became a member of Rangers Football Club in August 1887, The month the first Ibrox park was opened. At the annual meeting in 1888 Sir John was elected honorary president. He vacated the office 24 years later becoming chairman on the condition it was an interim appointment. Interim appointment that lasted 11years. John was a great supporter of The Glasgow Merchants Charity Cup raising thousands of pounds for charities in Glasgow and the West of Scotland.
It is noted that John resigned from the office of chairman in 1923 due to ill health.
He died at his home, Redholme in Dumbreck on 29 June 1924 and was buried in Craigton Cemetery in south-west Glasgow near Bellahouston Park.The grave lies in the dense area to the south, facing south onto his parents' grave.
Sir John Ure Primrose, Master Mason Lodge Plantation No.581, Founder Member of Lodge Pollok No.772