John Murdoch of Rosebank was a tobacco merchant who was born on the 4th October 1709 to parents Peter Murdoch of Rosehill a Glasgow merchant and sugar refiner (owner of King St sugar works, and wife Mary Luke nee (Claythorn). He married Margaret Lang (daughter of William Land merchant) he had a daughter Ann. Margaret died in 1734 in childbirth. John then married Margaret Bogle, they had a daughter Margaret Murdoch.
John lived at Rosebank House in the Cambuslang Area. The front of house was demolished in 1933 with the rest in 1937.
In 1744 he became Baillie in Glasgow Town Council under his Brother in Law Lord Provost Andrew Cochrane. He later succeeded Cochrane as Lord Provost in 1746 to 1748. He became Lord Provost again in 1750 to 1752 and 1758 to 1760, Cochrane serving again in the dates between.
In 1750 he built the 1st house on Argyle Street standing on the corner of Dunlop Street as the residence for Lord Provost Murdoch alongside the house of Colin Dunlop of Carmyle. The building then became the Buck’s Head Hotel in 1757. The building was later sold to another merchant Thomas Hopkins in 1777.
John Murdoch passed away in his house on the 30th June 1776
Murdoch Avenue in Cambuslang is named after him.
John Murdoch was Initiated into Glasgow Kilwinning Lodge No.4 on the April 1st 1735, the night of the consecration of the Lodge,