Sir Iain Colquhoun of Luss, 7th Baronet, was born on the 20th June 1887 to parents Alan J. Colquhoun, 6th Baronet, and his wife Justine Henrietta Kennedy. He succeeded his father as the 7th Baronet in 1910, as Sir Iain Colquhoun of Luss and chief of the clan Colquhoun. Iain married Geraldine Bryde Tennant on the 10th February 1915, they had 2 sons and 3 daughters.
During the First World War Colquhoun served in the Scots Guards, in 1914 the opposing troops unofficially observed a Christmas truce. The following year when Captain Colquhoun agreed to a German Officers request to a short truce on Christmas Day, this lasted around an hour. Colquhoun was brought before a court martial. Due to his wife’s cousin being Prime Minister H. H. Asquith he was found guilty but was given a reprimand. (Lowest sentence) The sentence was remitted by General Sir Douglas Haig shortly after.
Colquhoun was wounded during the War and awarded the Distinguished Service Order in 1916. After the war he was awarded Honorary Colonel of the 9th Battalion Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. Glasgow University Officer Training Corps and President of the Dunbartonshire Territorial Association.
Sir Iain was Rector of Glasgow University in 1934 – 1937, in 1946 he donated land at Rowardennan on the banks of Loch Lomond for a freshwater biology field station. This is now the Scottish Centre for Ecology and the natural environment.
He was Lord Lieutenant of Dunbartonshire from 1919 until his death in 1948, Lord High Commissioner to the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland in 1932, 1940 and 1941 and he was created a Knight of the Thistle in 1937.
Sir Iain was also a keen boxer, his boxing career went from being a contestant, to becoming a referee and judge. He also served on the British Boxing Board of Control (BBoC), and was chairman of the Scottish section of the BBoC. As a fighter he won the Army lightweight title in both 1913 and 1914. He later became a referee, officiating in many big contests in Scotland, and was one of the judges and referees at the 1924 Paris Olympics. Colquhoun was also in demand as an MC (Master of Ceremonies).
He also represented the Secretary of State for Scotland on the Racecourse Betting Board for 10 years from 1928. In his spare time he enjoyed shooting and fishing on his vast Loch Lomond Estate. The former Colquhoun ancestry home, Rossdhu Mansion, is now the clubhouse for the Loch Lomond Golf Club.
Sir Iain died on the 12th November 1948 in Luss, He is buried in Luss Cemetary.
Sir Iain Colquhoun was a Past Master of Dumbarton Kilwinning Lodge No.18, Affiliate of Partick Saint Mary’s Lodge No.117 on the 20th May 1925.
Grand Master Mason of Scotland 1935-1936
Pictured with his successor The Duke of York, future King George VI