John Adam of Larchgrove was born in 1857 in Larchgrove, son of John Adam Snr a Builder and brick maker. Residents of Larchgrove which we now call Barlanark. Their house was situated at the top of Hallhill Road at Edinburgh Road just across from Greyfriars church. If you look now you can still see the pillar of the entrance.
John was educated at Edinburgh Institution and Merchiston Castle and he later served his apprenticeship in Marine Insurance. In that line he started a business under the partnership in the firm messrs Russell and Adam, Glasgow. The firm dissolved on his retirement.
John Adam of Larchgrove was one of the pioneers of the motor industry in Scotland, he was a member of the old Parochial Boards, he served as a member of Glasgow Parish council. Member of Lanark county council as a representative of the Land area of the Shettleston district.
In 1913 Mr Adam was appointed convener of the general commissioners of income tax for the lower ward of Lanark.
He retired in 1921 having served as chairman of the lower ward district committee of the council.
He was the 1st president of Springboig Bowling Club as well as the 1st President and Captain of Sandyhills Golf club. On the opening day of the club on Saturday 5th May 1906 John played the opening shot on the course
After the War Adam purchased Innerpeffray House and though he made his home in Perthshire he never lost touch with all the organisations that he was a member.
John Adam Passed away on the 21st July 1935 at home Innerpeffrey House in Crieff due to internal problems aged 78. He is buried in Glasgow Necropolis.
John Adam was Initiated into Mother Kilwinning No.0
John was the founding master of Lodge Eastmuir No.1126 he was master 1914 -1915 and 1915 - 1916. He was 56 years of age.
He was also the founding master of The Trades House of Glasgow Lodge No.1241 in 1920
John Adam was also a Substitute Provincial Grand Master in 1922 an office he held for 3 years. He Donated the John Adam Whist trophy.